As someone that is committed to helping people put healthy food into their bodies, I know that food is not the only thing that impacts our health. When clients meet with me, they typically receive recommendations on lifestyle changes, such as getting enough quality sleep, adding in a short meditation practice and eating more mindfully.
I've struggled with recommendations on personal products, which has been frustrating because our skin is the biggest organ in our body and we all use multiple personal care products everyday. What we put on our body has just as much impact as what we put in our body. I have tried many products over the years, including professional lines offered through my supplement supplier, with the intent of using the safest option to reduce my toxic exposure while also performing well. As I did more research, I found that many of these products were not as safe as I thought them to be.
One of the best resources for finding safer skincare is the Environmental Working Group's Skin Deep application, which reviews personal care products and rates them, based on the potential exposure to carcinogens, endocrine disrupters and more. This is a valuable tool because, at this time, there is minimal pre-market testing required for ingredients in our personal care products. As I did more review on the products I was using, I was shocked to find that some of my current products had poor ratings on Skin Deep. That led me to do more research, which is where I found Beautycounter. You will see that almost all of their products are EWG verified as best products. That was enough for me to investigate more. As I learned some of the great information below about Beautycounter, the more I felt that I not only wanted to use their products, I also wanted to partner with them.
- They are an education company, with the desire to provide consumers with valuable information on ingredient safety so that we can make educated decisions on personal care products. Any client that has met with me will tell you that I provide an in-depth education as I believe that understanding why I recommend a change makes it much easier to commit to that change.
- They have a "never list," with over 1400 harmful and toxic ingredients found in personal care products that have health concerns and which Beautycounter is committed to never include in their products. Some of these ingredients include BHT, BPA, formaldehye, phlatates and parabens. We wouldn't eat these chemicals so why put them into our bodies?
- They are committed to making a change to public policy regarding the cosmetic industry. Beautycounter wants better laws that protect public health from harmful ingredients commonly used in the beauty industry. Beautycounter also donates generously to non-profit organizations that align with the company’s mission.
- They have products for the whole family, including children and babies. Most of us are highly careful with anything that touches our babies but many children have accumulated a toxic load by the time they are 14.
- Lastly, and possibly the most important point for many when choosing a personal care or cosmetic product, the products are EFFECTIVE! This was important to me so I personally tried many of the products before making a decision to join. I immediately noticed a difference and my husband even commented that my skin looked younger (how often do they even notice our skin?)!
I hope you are all as excited as I am to learn more and try some of these amazing products. Please visit my site for more information and contact me if you would like to try some samples or have a consult to learn more about which products may be best for you.